Biohome Ultra is an efficient biological filter media and good mechanical filtration must be provided to insure the water passing through it does not contain any debris that might clog it and reduce efficiency. It allows both nitrifying (aerobic) bacteria for reduction in ammonia and nitrite and denitrifying (anaerobic) bacteria for reduction in nitrate to grow on and through it’s unique structure. Biohome Ultimate Marine is essentially the Mini Ultra with added trace elements to increase bacteria performance and has a porosity of approx. 50%. You can check out the extreme porosity of the Ultimate Marine yourself by touching just the tip of a piece media to the surface of some water. You’ll be amazed at how fast the water is drawn up the entire length.
- 2kg of Biohome Ultra Filter Media
- Recommended 1-2 kgs for 120L or larger
- ONE OF THE BEST FILTER MEDIA YOU CAN BUY
- Support beneficial bacteria growth, Great for canister, HOB and sump filters.
- Fast control ammonia and nitrite, promotes odorless and clear water
- Suitable for canister filters, small sumps, small shower / trickle filters and overhead filters.
Through years of Biohome being used in all sorts of aquariums and ponds the recommended amounts of Biohome needed to see a good reduction in nitrate (full cycle filtration) are as follows:
Average community tropical aquarium = 1kg per 100 litres
Average coldwater aquarium = 1kg – 1.5kg per 100 litres
Goldfish aquarium = 1.5kg – 2kg per 100 litres
Predator aquarium = 1.5kg – 2kg per 100 litres
Large cichlid aquarium = 1.5kg – 2kg per 100 litres
Malawi / Tanganyikan aquarium = 1.5kg – 2kg per 100 litres
Marine aquarium = 1.5kg – 2kg per 100 litres
Average mixed fish pond = 1kg per 200 litres
Average koi pond = 1kg per 150 litres
Biohome media types and their most suitable filters:
- Biohome Standard = small internal, small external, DIY ornament filter, overhead, small HOB
- Biohome Plus = (as above)
- Biohome Mini Ultra = external, large internal, large DIY ornament filter, overhead, sump, large HOB
- Biohome Ultra = sump, shower / trickle filter
- Biohome Ultimate = external, large internal, large DIY ornament filter, overhead, sump, large HOB
- Biohome Maxi Ultimate = sump, shower / trickle filter
- Biohome Ultimate Marine = external, large internal, large DIY ornament filter, overhead, sump, large HOB
- Biohome Maxi Ultimate Marine = Sump
- Biogravel / Biogravel Marine = small internal, small external, DIY ornament filter, under gravel, Biorbs
- Biohome Shower = Shower / Trickle filters for ponds
Video explaining what Biohome is and what it comprises of and why you should use it.